Saturday, June 25, 2011

A blog about an idiot with power tools

There are lots of wood working blogs out there, and I know some are far better then mine will be.  So whats my angle, what will make this blog different?  Well in short as of a few years ago I was all but a complete idiot.  Other then a shop class in high school my only exposure to building anything was prefab shelves from big box stores.  These shelves began to sag and fall apart so I thought I can do better, and I found an OLD craftsman table saw at a yard sale, and the adventure began. 

I am not sure how I managed to keep my fingers.  Even though I did not know the difference between a rip and a cross cut I set out to build a book shelf and learned a few good lessons...

1- Free hand cross cutting is a bad idea on a table saw.
2- kick back is not just a myth and can in fact dent siding  on ones house at 20 paces
3- Pine is a pain to stain
4- weekend projects always take more than a weekend.
5- Some mysterious force makes the shelf move out of square to the left or right depending on relative humidity and temperature.  I now know this is called wood movement, and is normal and not a sign of a haunting, or demonic shelf possession.

The picture ablve is not my saw.  That saw is long gone, but the model above is pretty much the same beast (I stole the picture).  I hope to take pics of the shelf and post soon.  So I am going to look at the tools I have (the good to the very bad), projects I have made (the fantastic to the plain F'd up), and lessons I have learned (and I will wonder how I am still alive).  Also I will post plans for those interested.

1 comment:

  1. As far my experience counts fort the flooring of bathrooms Woodsmith Hardwood. flooring is more recommended over laminate flooring.As laminate tiles suffers the problem of floating over original floor surface of bathroom with the passing of time.

    ___________________
    Woodsmith Hardwood

    ReplyDelete